So here it is … My BHAG…
In August 2016 (the month I turn 40), I will participate in my areas Century Ride, which is a 100 Mile (160 km) bicycle tour to 3 Ports along Lake Erie.
First off, I’m sure if you are reading this, and unfamiliar with Verne Harnish (the Growth Guy), you have are probably wondering what BHAG means. Well it is simply stands for a BIG HAIRY A$$ GOAL. He states that if you are not growing you are dying, and by not setting crazy goals to stride for, their is nothing pushing you to achieve what you want. Don’t get me wrong, he is not saying go out and have BHAG be the end all and be all, but there are a series of smaller more measurable means to get there. It is a proven fact about human nature that once you succeed at something, you are more likely to keep doing it. The same is true in the Newton’s Laws of Motion:
- Law #1 – an object at rest tends to stay at rest, and an object in motion tends to stay in motion
- Law#2 – the more force applied to an object the greater the acceleration
- Law#3 – for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction
Who knew goal setting could be a physics lesson??
If we tweak a few of the words in the above laws of physics, you can apply them to human nature.
- Law #1 – a PERSON at rest tends to stay at rest, and an PERSON in motion tends to stay in motion
- Law#2 – the more force applied to an object the greater the ACCOUNTABILITY
- Law#3 – for every action there is an equal and opposite CONSEQUENCE
Long explanation short. Once you start it is hard to stop, as you are being held accountable by your network, or face the consequence of not achieving the goal. Simple right?
By reading this, I am setting the laws of Physics into motion, and you are now apart of my BHAG…What’s yours?